Monday, April 5, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?




Cucina di Campo has started a Chef's Garden! With hopes of a bountiful harvest, we have begun work on our container garden to grow ingredients for recipes. Here's a list of what we planted:

San Marzano Tomatoes
Cherokee Purple Heirloom Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Anaheim Chiles
Hungarian Yellow Sweet Banana Peppers
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
Cilantro
Basil
Oregano
French Lavender (Provence)
Spearmint
Rosemary
Yellow Crook Neck Squash

We are still waiting for the eggplant seedlings to be ready - apparently they do very well in the Arizona heat!

The garden has been active for about 3 weeks now, and the tomatoes are starting to show fruit. We had a cold spell a few weeks ago that caused some blossom end rot on the San Marzanos, but the new fruit looks fine. Looks like we will have a bumper crop of peppers - there are 11 plants!

In an effort to diminish the effect of flying insects, we planted marigolds around the garden. Functional and beautiful!

We'll post garden updates as things grow, so keep coming back.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you're off to a great start. What forms of pest control are you using? I'm looking for something organic to use with my garden. So far, I found Safer Brand's Tomato and Vegetable Insect Killer while searching online. Have you heard of it? It breaks down easily by nature into elements the plants can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    In the spirit of keeping it all organic, I have not used any pesticides other than ladybugs. The ladybugs really worked! One release of them killed all of the aphids in my garden. I only wish I had done it earlier, as two of my tomato plants are a bit stunted from the aphid infestation. I may check out the brand of pesticide you mention if I have any more problems, but right now between the marigolds and the ladybugs, the garden is free and clear!

    ReplyDelete